Executive Order (EO) N-56-20 was established on April 22, 2020, to address the impact of continued school closures in response to the COVID-19 pandemic and the local educational agencies’ ability to conduct meaningful annual planning, and the ability to meaningfully engage stakeholders in these processes. EO N-56-20 issued timeline and approval waivers for the Local Control and Accountability Plan and Budget Overview for Parents as well as waiving certain budgetary requirements.
The Executive Order also established the requirement that a local educational agency (LEA) adopt a written report (COVID-19 Operations Written Report) explaining to its community the changes to program offerings the LEA has made in response to school closures to address the COVID-19 emergency and the major impacts of such closures on students and families.
The COVID-19 Operations Written Report must be adopted by the local governing board or body in conjunction with the adopted annual budget by July 1, 2020. While the COVID-19 Operations Written Report does not need to be approved by the county superintendent of schools or the Superintendent of Public Instruction, the Written Report must be submitted in conjunction with the submission of the adopted annual budget.
Once adopted, the COVID-19 Operations Written Report must be posted on the homepage of the LEA’s website, if such a website exists.
Guidance for Completing the COVID-19 Operations Written Report
The COVID-19 Operations Written Report must include:
• An overview explaining the changes to program offerings that the LEA has made in response to school closures to address the COVID-19 emergency and the major impacts of the closures on students and families.
• A description of how the LEA is meeting the needs of its English learners, foster youth and low-income students.
• A description of the steps that have been taken by the LEA to continue delivering high- quality distance learning opportunities.
• A description of the steps that have been taken by the LEA to provide school meals while maintaining social distancing practices.
• A description of the steps that have been taken by the LEA to arrange for supervision of students during ordinary school hours
The descriptions provided should include sufficient detail yet be sufficiently succinct to promote a broader understanding of the changes the LEA has put in place.