Rio Vista Social Studies Department
Welcome to Rio Vista Middle School’s Social Studies Department page! The Social Studies curriculum is driven by the California Department of Education’s content standards.
Sixth Grade Social Studies
Sixth Grade Social Studies curriculum focuses on Ancient History and the Civilizations. Some of the civilizations that are studied are:
- The Paleolithic era
- Mesopotamia, Egypt, and Kush civilizations
- Ancient Hebrews
- Early civilizations of India
- Ancient China
- Ancient Greeks
- The development of Rome
Seventh Grade Social Studies
In Seventh Grade Social Studies, students study Europe, Africa, the Americas, and Asia in the years 500 A.D. through 1789. Some of the areas studied are:
- Islam in the Middle Ages
- China in the Middle Ages
- The sub-Saharan civilizations of Ghana and Mali in Medieval Africa
- Medieval Japan
- Meso-American and Andean civilizations
- The Renaissance
- The Reformation
- The Scientific Revolution, and
- The Age of Exploration, the Enlightenment, and the Age of Reason
- Disintegration of the Roman Empire
- Medieval Europe
Eighth Grade American History
The goal of the social studies program is to help students become productive and involved citizens. Through a study of United States growth and conflict from 1783 to 1914, students will learn about American national identity, Constitutional heritage and civic values, rights and responsibilities. They will be involved in individual and group activities, simulations, textbook reading, as well as integrated activities with language arts and computer-aided instruction. Common Core Standards will transcend within cross-curricular expectations with a greater focus related to both verbal and written expression. Indeed, “History is a story well told.”
Eighth grade American history covers the period from the framing of the Constitution up to World War I. Some of the essential areas are:
- The Revolution
- The Constitution
- The Jefferson Era
- National and Regional Growth
- The Jackson Era
- Manifest Destiny
- The Growth of the West
- The Civil War
I am available to assist your student every day at lunch!
• Multiple Subject Credential & English
• 8 yrs. Rio District
• 17 yrs. Oxnard High District
• 2 yrs. Lancaster - 6th grade
• 1 yr. Southern Kern Unified, 1st grade
I love my job, and I never have a day where I say to myself, "I don’t want to go to work."
• B.A. - History
• Teaching Credential - Social Sciences
• Master of Arts - Teaching, emphasis in Professional Learning Communities.
I have been teaching since the Fall of 2010. I came to Rio Vista Middle School in the Fall of 2012, and have enjoyed every minute of it! I love to incorporate technology and skill practice into my classes!
• B.A. - History & English, CLU
• M.Ed. - Teacher & Curriculum Leadership, CLU
• M.A. - History, CSUN
Born and raised in Oxnard & Ventura. I love reading, the outdoors, and spending time with family.
• B.A in Political Science, CSUN
• Multiple Subjects Credential, CLU
• M.A. Education, CLU
• 14 years - Rio District
I look forward to coming to work everyday, connecting with students and helping them grow to their greatest potential.
• 3rd year at Rio Vista
• B.A. Liberal Studies: UCSB
• Multiple Subject Credential: Western Governors University
• 11 Yrs in Rio District
• 6 Yrs at Rio Vista
• B.A. History & Sociology, UCSB
• Teaching Credential, CSUCI
• M.A. with School Counseling Credential, APU
My goal as an educator is not only to teach students, but more importantly, to instill in them the desire to become lifelong learners!
• 16 Yrs in the Rio District
• 27 Yrs Teaching
• B.A. PolySci & History
• CLAD and CA Certs
• M.A. Social Science
Worked in several Performing Arts and IB schools in Iowa, Illinois, Texas, and Zimbabwe. I love reading history and politics and visiting historical places. I have traveled to nearly all 50 states with my wonderful family.