Rio Vista Science Department
The Next Generation Science Standards majorly shifts science education by integrating life, physical, and earth sciences with engineering and technology. The new science standards emphasize scientific practices including asking questions, constructing models, planning investigations, analyzing data, using math, forming explanations, evidence based argument, and communication. All the new science standards also incorporate crosscutting concepts like patterns, cause & effect, scale & proportion, systems & system models, energy & matter, structure & function, and stability & change.
I have been teaching Life Science for 7 years at Rio Vista! In my free time, I’m an avid traveler, nature lover, and beach lounger.
• B.S. Ecology & Evolutionary Biology, UC Santa Cruz
• M.A. Learning Communities, Grand Canyon U
I have been teaching since the Fall of 2010. I came to Rio Vista Middle School in the Fall of 2012, and have enjoyed every minute of it! I love to incorporate technology and skill practice into my classes!
• B.A. - History & English, CLU
• M.Ed. - Teacher & Curriculum Leadership, CLU
• M.A. - History, CSUN
This is my 13th year as a 6th grade teacher, and my 30th year overall as an employee in Rio. I absolutely love teaching here on the Rio Vista campus! I currently teach Math, Earth Science, and Study Skills.
• B.A., Liberal Studies, CSUN
• Clear Multiple Subject Teaching Credential, CSUN
• 2 Yrs at Rio Vista
• 34 Yrs in the Rio District!
• BA Liberal Studies, CSUN
• MA Educational Leadership, CSUN
In my spare time I enjoy horseback riding, water skiing, and pretty much everything about the country life. But the best of all, is spending time with my new grandson!
• 13 Yrs Rio District
• Prior work - fisheries biologist, CA Dept of Fish & Game
• B.S., Environmental Biology
• M.S., Science Education
I decided to become a teacher to share my joy of science with kids! In my free time I enjoy hiking, kayaking, traveling, gardening, and playing with my dog.
• 4 Yrs Teaching
• 3 Yrs at Rio Vista
• B.S. PolySci, emphasis Pre-Law
• Social & Foundational Science Credentials, CLU
I have always enjoyed science, since I was a child growing up in Nyeland Acres and winning science fair competitions at Rio Real! I enjoy hiking, the beach, swimming, and spending time with friends and family.