Ubermix is the operating system for most of the district’s netbooks. It is a special, education-focused build of Linux. Everything you could ever want to know about Ubermix can be found at the ubermix.org website.
Some basic information, quick reference style, is below:
How to use the quick recovery features
One of the key features of this custom build is the ability to quickly recover from problems and restore the system to a default state. This process is relatively non-destructive, as all of the user’s files can be retained, should you so choose. To perform a quick restore, perform the following steps:
- If the machine is already off, press the power button to turn it on. If it is running, press the power button and choose “Restart” from the menu that appears.
- Immediately after you see the system’s splash screen the screen will go black for about 3 seconds – press ESC during those 3 seconds to enter the boot menu. Be prepared – you will only have 3 seconds to press the ESC key.
- When you see the following screen, choose “Restore Factory Settings”
- After a few moments, you will see the following screen. Choose your option (usually will be “1”)
- Follow any additional directions on the screen.
In a few seconds (literally) your netbook will be reset to a standard configuration.