2014-15 State Testing Information
As part of the California’s transition to Common Core State Standards, the state has replaced the Standardized Testing and Reporting (STAR) assessment system with the California Assessment of Student Performance and Progress (CAASPP). The new assessment system is aligned with the California Common Core State Standards and will measure student achievement and growth in English Language Arts and Mathematics in grades 3-8. The assessments are based on the idea that high-quality assessments will contribute to improved teaching and learning necessary to prepare students to be college and career ready.
During the 2014–15 school year, CAASPP entails the following:
- CAASPP Smarter Balanced summative test for English–language arts (ELA) and mathematics in grades three through eight. Additional information about SBAC testing can be located on the CAASPP Communication – FAQs About Smarter Balanced.
- Fifth and Eighth Grade Science Assessments, including the California Standards Tests (CSTs), California Alternate Assessment (CAA), and the California Modified Assessment (CMA).
- California Alternate Assessment (CAA) for English-Language arts and mathematics in grades three through eight. CAA Field Test Manual
Smarter Balanced Test
Grades 3 – 8
ELA and Math
K-5th May 4th- June 12th
6th – 8th April 20th – June 12th
Grade Level Science
Grades 5 and 8
|5th & 8th April 23rd- May 28th|
California Alternate Assessment (CAA)
ELA , Math, and Science
|3rd – 8th April 23rd -May 28th|
School Testing Schedules
Learning About the Smarter Balanced Test
Here are resources parents and their children can use to learn about the Smarter Balanced Test:
- CCSS Resources for Parents and Guardians – Common Core State Standards
- Smarter Balanced Spanish Web Page Página Web in Español de la prueba Smarter Balanced: Esta página ofrece recursos sobre la prueba Smarter Balanced para los padres y estudiantes de habla Español.
- CAASPP Online Training Module – Student Interface for Online Testing
Preparing For The Smarter Balanced Test
Parents and students need to learn about the new types of test questions and have multiple opportunities to practice using the new test interface. This resource is available for parents and their children to use for practice purposes. It includes practice tests for all grades and content areas.
Field Test Essentials for Rio School District Teachers and Principals
*NEW California Smarter Balanced Classroom Activity Assignments for Rio Elementary (PDF document of LEA Classroom Activity assignments for each grade within each school/test site for Rio Elementary.)
- Classroom Activities for: English Language Arts/Literacy & Mathematics
- Classroom Activity guidelines and information from the California Smarter Balanced Online Test Administration Manual – Classroom Activity pages 28-29 & 65-66
1. CAASPP Smarter Balanced Test Administration Overview- This module prepares District/School Test Coordinators and Test Administrators with an overview of procedures, including policy matters and test security processes.
2. CA Smarter Balanced Online Test Administration Manual – This manual provides information for California District/School Test Coordinators and Test Administrators regarding policies and procedures for the California Smarter Balanced Field Test as well as screenshots and step-by-step instructions on how to administer the online Field Tests.
3. The Testing Operations Management System (TOMS) is the system used to manage student information and user accounts for online testing. The TOMS User Guide for California Users uses a step-by-step approach to using the enhanced user management system. The guide has been customized for users accessing the system for the California Smarter Balanced Test.
4. CASSPP Online Training Module – Test Administrator (TA) Interface for Online Testing
Additional Online Resources:
1. Accessing the CAASPP Resource Site– Use this site to access the CAASPP Smarter Balanced practice and training test, digital library, TOMS, and other training materials and information regarding CAASPP testing.
2. Legal forms – Documents test administrator must sign prior to administering field testing.
3. Student Accessibility & Accommodations – Smarter Balanced addresses accessibility and accommodations for students who are English learners and students with disabilities who are taking Smarter Balanced assessments. Guidelines and FAQs
4. Technology Specifications Manual – This manual outlines the technology requirements needed to administering the Smarter Balanced test.
5. Secure Browsers – Site for supported operating systems and technical resources.
6. Sleep Mode – Directions on how to change the sleep mode settings on your Acer laptop. PDF Tutorial (screenshots)